Wednesday, April 20, 2011

There Really Is An App For That: HDR For Free

I have to admit that sometimes I don't take the best photos. The easiest thing to do is to blame it on the fact that it was cloudy that particular day. We've all been there but there's really no excuse when you can easily find an app for that.
I'm pretty sure I found that golden egg of an app; for this particular purpose anyway. To show you what I mean, below is a sampling of shots I took while on vacation. I put these ordinary shots through the app called HDR for Free that I downloaded on my iPhone and posted the result below in the before and after. Also, without getting too technical, for those of you that don't know, HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.

Before: A cloudy day in January in Key Largo. Yes, even Key Largo gets cloudy.


After: Looking at the after result, I almost feel like every cloudy day can be a good day


Before: This was one of the few days that it wasn't cloudy on my vacation but I decided to apply the HDR filter to this anyway to see what the result would be.

After: Looks like it could be from a resort/travel mag. No wonder they have such good shots in those.

Needless to say, there's no doubt that I'll be coming back to this app. I hope I've shown you that there is hope for disappointing and dull cloudy day shots. There's really no excuse anymore. The HDR For Free app is a winner. Yes, it really is free.

Note: These were taken with a low res point and shoot camera 2 years ago. I've upgraded since then to a digital camera that takes better and higher resolution shots. Check them out in the post entitled: As The Ducks Swiw In
More about about my newer camera in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment